A History of Rutland High School, Rutland, VT (1855-2008)
This article discusses the evolution of Rutland High School since its establishment in 1855. Before 1855, there was not a public school for higher education in Rutland. There was only the Rutland Academy, opened in 1852 and located on Center Street. Students could attend for $1.50 a week. It was transformed into the first public high school, Rutland Union High School, which opened in 1855. Over the first few years, numerous additions and renovations would be done to the building that now houses the Rutland fire department. In 1929 a new Rutland High School was opened on Library Avenue. The old high school was now Meldon School or the Middle School until 1956 when an addition was added to the High School. In 1994 another new building was constructed to house the High School on Stratton Road along with the Stafford Technical Center.